Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I live in Norwich.

So as I anticipated I am horrendous at updating a blog. It is a nice concept, however in actuality I am less than motivated to sit down and write about my goings on from day to day.

I wish I could have written everyday about the amazing and interesting things I do on a daily basis, but the reality is that at the University of East Anglia I am in school just like I would be back at Dickinson. On a regular day I get up, go to the gym, come back to do work until dinner time, eat with my friends, and head to bed. (I have the occasional class too), but overall life in Norwich is pretty standard.

My workload was top-heavy at the beginning of the semester and now that I am having some more free time I am beginning to venture into Norwich city centre. I immediately took for granted that I live in one of the (formerly) most popular cities in England, with a castle, enormous Cathedral, and river winding through the city. Norwich is incredibly beautiful and has something to offer everyone it used to be said, "there used to be a church for every Sunday and a pub for every day of the week."

Last Thursday I decided to head into the city to run a few errands, and once I was finished with those I wandered further into town. I had a sweater on over my t-shirt, and my headphones in and as soon as I stepped into the Norwich market (the oldest and one of the largest in the country) I was surrounded by so much energy. It was one of the warmest days we had and I was able to walk around in just my t-shirt feeling the sun on my skin, and as I took my headphones out my ears were filled with the sounds of a variety of languages and buskers lining up and down the streets. I went from one cobblestone road to another when it hit me, the streets that I was walking along are older than the country I live in. I am not the biggest history fan, but living in such a historic city it is impossible not to become fascinated with it. Amazed at the buildings all around me and passing hundreds of people from all over up and down the streets was a reminder of how lucky I am.

Part of the reason I wanted to go to Dickinson was because of the strong study abroad program they offer. And I do not regret my decision at all. If I had gone to another university I would have ended up spending a semester in London (and don't get me wrong I LOVE London, I have already been back twice since I left two months ago), but a major international city in England is only different from an international city in America if you let it be. Living in Norwich I feel like I am in England. I am learning from my British (and one Norwegian) flatmates and they are learning from me.


There are days when I could not imagine being any place else, and there are days when I wish I could just hop on a plane and fly back to Canton, Massachusetts. But despite this conflict of where I want to be from day to day, one thing I have learned is that I enjoy being by myself.

Being by oneself and being lonely are two different things, and it is a distinction that I have finally come to understand.

I do not like feeling like I have no one to talk to or to turn to. That is loneliness. I am lucky that one of my best friends is here with me and upon arriving in London I made another very close friend who I can always count on. I am not lonely.

But I like doing things on my own time, and in my own way. Wandering down the streets of Norwich by myself, cooking dinner when I'm hungry, reading what it is I want to read for class and not feeling tied down by the professor's requirements. I like being by myself. Being independent.

I like taking on the world, and I am ready for it.

Are you?

xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment